Monday, January 23, 2012

Can I DIY? Rope shade

I saw several of these guys on Pinterest. Here is the first one I came across.

Then I saw this one.
I desperately need more light in my bedroom so I did exactly what they said.
This project was way too messy to try to take pictures during the process. I made a mixture of glue, corn starch and water(let's just say equal parts) and then wrapped it around a big balloon I had. The rope was thick and slippery and made a mess(biting my tongue). But after much time and swearing, I felt like the balloon was sufficiently covered. I jimmy-rigged a hanger to hold it up in the bath tub til it dried.
Once it was dry, I popped the balloon.

The light inside is one that I got from IKEA as part of one of those paper lantern lights. I was able to pull the rope at the top enough to squeeze the base of the light in. I'm not positive how fire-safe this is...so I always turn it off before I leave the house. I LOVE the shadows on the wall. So can I DIY a rope/string shade? YES! but it's gonna make a mess fo sho.

No comments:

Post a Comment